Bad weather early in the week meant nothing on the fishing front, but Thursday looked ok, 15 kn. SW.
Unfortunately the Metservice got it a bit wrong—quite a bit actually.
It picked up to 25kn. early on, then rose to 40+ by mid morning, making fishing impossible. We headed home, but a phonecall to them about the radical inaccuracy of the forecast saw a quick reassessment and an apology from the manager, which I appreciated, as we’re first in the firing line when they get it wrong.
Saturday was slow, but we got onto pannie snapper which saved the day, as the tarakihi were playing hard to get.
We had a Hapuku overnighter booked, but the forecast was fairly iffy, and I was feeling a bit gunshy after the Thursday effort, so I canned the trip, which was probably doable.
A bit of the damned if you do, damned if you don’t scenario.